United Nations Headquarters Secretariat Internship Programme
Location: New York City, NY USA
Objectives: Graduate and post-graduate students may be assigned to various UN offices where their educational experience can be enhanced through practical work assignments; to expose interns to the work of the UN; to provide UN offices with the assistance of highly qualified students specialised in various fields.
Dates: Two-month basis three times a year: Spring: Mid-January to mid-March; Summer: Early June to early August; Fall: Early September to end-October
Application deadline: For the Summer 2005 Internship, 21 January 2005.
Expectations: normally offered full-time (five days a week, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.); carry out tasks under the supervision of a staff member (supervisor)
Qualifications and Eligibility: must be enrolled in a degree program in a graduate school (second university degree or higher) at the time of application and during the internship; undergraduates are not eligible. See the website for full eligibility criteria, application information, internship conditions and agreement, post-internship employment opportunities, and more.
CIEE Internship USA
Dates: may work in the US for up to 18 months – internship can start at any time of year
Objectives: CIEE’s Internship USA program is designed for international students and recent graduates who want to go to the USA to acquire professional work experience associated with their major field of study. Participants on this training program have the opportunity to develop professional skills and learn US business practices while being immersed in American life and culture.
Qualifications and Eligibility: You can now only apply to the program while being a university undergraduate or postgraduate student. You can begin your training in the U.S. while still a student or within 6 months of completing your studies. CIEE is authorized by the US State Department to act as a legal sponsor for qualified participants selected for Internship USA:
– At least 18 years of age.
– Either currently a full-time student at a university or other recognized institution of post-secondary education OR
– Confirmed on a full-time internship in a field relating to their studies/qualification.
– Able to support themselves with a minimum of $750 per month from salary, personal savings or a guarantor (parent, bank, etc) for the duration of their stay in the US.
In addition, all participants must receive a pre-departure orientation, arranged by the local partner office.
As a US State Department designated legal sponsor for the Internship USA, CIEE will provide:
– A comprehensive and regularly updated web site www.councilexchanges.org providing information on jobs and living in the US.
– 24 hour emergency support from CIEE New York.
– Comprehensive health and accident insurance in accordance with US Government requirements.
– The DS-2019 certificate of eligibility to undertake training in the US required for the J-1 visa.
– A participant handbook.
– CIEE online i-cafe for participants to keep in touch with other interns.