AUSU Updates: A new council
On April 1, a new AUSU council took office to represent AU undergrads for the 2014-16 term. The last six weeks have been a busy time, as outgoing councillors prepared the new team to take office and facilitated an executive election.
we’re pleased to announce your new student representatives:
President: Jason Nixon
VP External and Student Affairs: Kim Newsome
VP Finance and Administration: Corrina Green
Councillors: Bonita Arbeau, Megan Daigneault, Alexander Poulton, Christine Villeneuve, and Shawna Wasylyshyn.
At the changeover meeting on March 31 we said goodbye to members of the outgoing council, some of whom had served for multiple terms. We’d like to take this time to thank Toni Fox (outgoing President; 4 years on council); Bethany Tynes (outgoing VP External; 6 years on council); James Ramsbottom (councillor, 3 years), Ashley Charlton, and Craig French (both served 2 years).
The new team is already hard at work developing a project plan for the coming term year! See AUSU.org for more information and the Governance section for bios and pictures of your new team.
AUSU Awards – May Deadline
AUSU offers a range of awards, bursaries, and scholarships for our members. Some are available year round, but most are given out twice per year at our spring and fall application deadlines. The next deadline is May 1, so there is still time to get your application in.
Awards available for this deadline include:
– Academic Achievement Scholarships: recognizing excellence ($1000).
– Overcoming Adversity Bursaries: a $1000 bursary for students in financial need.
– Student Service Awards: a free course to recognize community involvement.
– Returning Student Awards: a free course for students returning to school.
– Balanced Student Awards: a free course for students balancing commitments.
– Christine Pannekoek Music Award: a free AU course for a student of music.
Also, these awards are available year round.
– Computer Bursaries: a free new laptop for students in financial need.
– Travel Bursaries: travel funding for symposiums, practicums, and convocation.
– Emergency Bursary: covers extension and exam fees for students experiencing hardship.
Tips for a successful application:
1. don’t wait until the last minute: you may need to obtain some documents that take a few days to arrive.
2. Fill out the form completely and legibly: incomplete forms will not be processed.
3. Read all instructions and submit the completed form to the correct email address (email@example.com).
4. If you have questions, call our office, but do not call AU. They cannot help you with AUSU awards.
All applications and instructions are on AUSU.org: select SERVICES then STUDENT AWARDS.
Convocation travel information
AUSU wants to make sure this year’s graduating class has a fantastic convocation. To make this happen, we’re providing free transportation via bus or limo service to take people from Edmonton to the Athabasca Multiplex each day of convocation 2014. This applies to those graduating from AU undergraduate programs, and their guests (some limits may apply).
We’ve also arranged hotel discounts in both Edmonton and Athabasca (for Athabasca, you must book early and pay a deposit. Rooms in Edmonton are much easier to book).
Plus, if you stay at the Edmonton hotel where our discounts apply, the bus/car will pick you up right out front, and drop you off at your hotel after the ceremonies.
This service is provided exclusively by AUSU, but grads in some faculties may already be eligible for free transportation. Check your program website or the dean’s office to find out.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible. we’ll also send you a tip sheet with more information about travelling to Edmonton, getting to and from the airport, etc.
This column is provided by AUSU to facilitate communication with its members. The Voice does not write or edit this section; all content has been exclusively and directly provided by AUSU, and any questions or comments about the material should be directed to email@example.com.