The Fit Student—Detox: Flesh, House, and Brain

You study at home, right?  Beware!  Your home may harbor toxins that seep into your flesh, stifle your study power, and even cause brain cancer.  No, I’m not talking about Netflix and Domino’s.  I’m talking about radio waves, chemicals, and pesticides.

For one, nonorganic foods contain pesticides.  When pesticides were sprayed on author Cliff VanGuilder’s farmland, his livestock would “cough and wheeze and look for cover” (VanGuilder, 2012, p.  136 of 1537, 9%).  Sad when even cows get sickened by products we spray.  The solution? Buy organic!

For another, many homes ooze mold.  MD Neil Nathan wrote a book implying that doctors often wrongly diagnose autoimmune disease, when, in actuality, the disease stems from mold.  Thus, the source of disease, the mold, doesn’t get cleaned up, and neither does the disease.  (His book is titled Toxic: Heal Your Body from Mold Toxicity, Lyme Disease, Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, and Chronic Environmental Sensitivities.)

For yet another, makeup can cause cancer.  At the Bay, I slapped on lipsticks.  The clerk wiped off the lipsticks with an alcohol rub.  But she got distracted.  So, I applied the rub myself.  My lips burned and ached the rest of the day.  Reminded me of my Christmas spent frozen-mouthed as my comical dentist, wearing an ugly Christmas sweater, drilled four root canals into my broken molar.

For still another, household cleaners bubble with toxins.  In the past, I shied away from scrubbing the washroom.  The sprays and aerosols made me cough and wheeze—and look for cover.  So, I mixed 2 cups water, ½ cup vinegar, and 20 drops eucalyptus essential oil.  Heavenly home!

Author Cliff VanGuilder shares tips on clearing toxins—even neurotoxins—from your home.  (Neurotoxins are poisons targeting your brain and spinal cord.)  His book is titled Detox Your Home: Banish the Toxic Menace of Chemicals from Your Living Space:

  • Save your life; rid your home of toxins: “Toxic chemical and other materials in our homes …. poisons our bodies, drags down our health, causes allergies and other illnesses.  It also potentially shortens our lives with diseases like cancer, nervous system damage, and organ damage and failure” (location 47 of 1537, 3%).
  • Replace toxins with natural products: “We need to buy non-toxic alternatives to household toxins whenever they will work effectively” (location 264 of 1537, 17%).
  • For one, use vinegar instead of Windex: “Window or glass cleaners … can irritate your eyes, nose, and throat …. These chemicals can cause drowsiness, unconsciousness and even death if swallowed ….  [Instead, use] ¼ cup of vinegar in 1 cup of water” (location 460 of 1537, 30%).
  • And freshen your breath with baking soda: “Drinking too much mouthwash can cause dizziness, loss of balance, and alcohol poisoning …. [Instead,] rinse mouth with mixture of one teaspoon of baking soda and one teaspoon of table salt in one quart of water” (location 296 of 1537, 19%).
  • As for nail polish, “exposure to high levels can affect your nervous system and kidneys” (location 296 of 1537, 19%). Skip the hues and go au naturel.  No need for vanity.
  • And don’t poison your face: “The main ingredient in most blushes is talc, which may be contaminated with carcinogenic asbestos …. Silica, if it is present in powdered blushes, may also damage the lungs and respiratory system ….  Color in blushes is usually provided by hazardous coal tar dyes, including dyes … which are neurotoxic” (location 1118 of 1537, 73%).
  • If that wasn’t bad enough, “the glitter in eye shadows and eyeliners … has been linked with cancer and can be neurotoxic” (location 1125 of 1537, 73%).

Last of all, reduce radiation.  Dr. Mercola wrote an article that claimed cell phone use increases the risk of brain cancer.  Try solving math problems while stricken with cancer of the brain.  Instead, buy a radiation protector chip for your cellphone, turn off household power at night, and don’t waltz with your cellphone before bedtime.

%d bloggers like this: