I got the idea of writing about cocktails a few months ago, and instead of just downing a bunch of drinks in one sitting (as fun as that might be), I chose to spread out a few of them over a few weeks and document some of the beverages I made. While these are relatively standard recipes, you can add a twist or two to make them your own.
Fridays started to become cocktail night at our house a while ago, and we began to cut back because it was just more fun than you can have with three kids around that demand you be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at six in the morning for hockey or ringette practice. During the first wave of the pandemic, we started to brew our own wine and beer. Mind you, we used a pre-made mix to brew them since these are somewhat harder to mess up if you follow the instructions, but you can only drink so much wine and beer when you make your own.
So, the following are standard recipes, and I tried to add my twist where I could. I hope you enjoy it!
The Empress Gin and Tonic
1oz Empress Gin
5oz tonic water
One lime wedge
- In a short glass, place a few ice cubes, then pour in your Empress Gin
- Add the tonic water, and garnish with a lime wedge.
- Admire the colour
One lime wedge
- Use the lime to get the rime of your glass wet
- Pour some rimmer onto a small plate and make sure you get some on the glass rim
- Add ice
- Pour in the vodka
- Top off with 8-10oz of clamato juice
- Add a few shakes of Tabasco or Franks!
- Add a few drops of Worcestershire sauce
- Use a celery rib to stir, and enjoy!