I’ve been using my Instant Pot for the last five years and it has been incredible the number of different recipes that are available for Instant Pot cooking. Lately, when life has been busy, Instant Pot has been helping me prepare food in a short period of time. It is relatively hassle-free and easy to clean. There are many different brands of quick pressure cookers on the market and in no ways am I endorsing the Instant brand. If you own a pressure cooker, this recipe will also be effective at saving you time and headaches in the kitchen. Here’s my own recipe for pressure cooker curry chicken, complete in 40 minutes in the pot and with less than 5 minutes of preparation time.
Curry is hearty, but one of the concerns I had in my previous recipes is that they are time-consuming and messy to cleanup. However, if you can cook everything faster without having to check back to see if the chicken is tender and ready, you can walk away, finish other chores and activities then come back to food that is ready to serve. Hence why many home chefs are obsessed with Instant Pot and other fast-cook pressure cookers that make cooking easy and food taste sophisticated.
- 8 chicken drumsticks (or any protein of your choice). I prefer chicken, lamb or beef as they absorb flavor well and work great in traditional indian curries.
- 1 whole white or yellow onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon of whole cumin seeds
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tablespoon garam masala powdered
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Chopped cilantro to taste
- ½ cup of water
- Start by thawing frozen chicken drumsticks or protein of choice. Ensure it is at room temperature before cooking
- Chop whole onion and saute in pan with olive oil for 3 minute or until lightly browned
- Once chicken has been thawed, add all spices into chicken and rub until spices have been spread evenly
- Add chicken to instant pot on top of sauteed onions
- Add 1 can of tomato sauce to cover all proteins evenly
- Add ½ cup of water to instant pot, cover lid and set timer for 45 minutes
- Cook under high pressure for 45 minutes
- Remove from instant pot, add garnish and serve immediately
Xu2: The assortment of spices for curry is what gives the dish its unique flavor profile. Make sure you rub the spices into the protein to help it integrate better.
Xu3: When you saute the onions, make sure you don’t burn or caramelize the onions. Instead, saute only until the onions become aromatic and mildly translucent.
Xu4: When adding tomato sauce, I like to pick tomato sauce that are lower in salt content for a healthier version of the traditional curry.