Fun fact about potatoes I once learned while watching a favourite celebrity chef. Potatoes are a member of the nightshade family, and 99% of all potatoes are descendants of a variety grown in Peru. Potatoes were modified in so many ways that today there are about 4,000 varieties. Most potatoes fall into the categories of Russet, Red, White, Yellow, or Purple. And each category has a plethora of varietals! Who knew potatoes were so fascinating?
Accordion Potatoes – Chef Corey
- Heat an oven to 350F or a turn on your BBQ; you can smoke these too!!!
- Wash your potatoes thoroughly, but leave the on the skin.
- Make a slice about ¾ of the way through and about 1/8 inch apart, 1/4 inch is ok too.
- Cover it in olive oil, making sure to get it into the slices as well, but be careful you don’t break it.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Cook for 30-45 minutes, the size of your potatoes will determine the length of time. You’re looking for softened insides, and a knife should easily go through.
- Top with sour cream, butter, and chives! Or don’t, these are awesome with a little hot sauce too!